Join the Force!
To obtain an application for the Franklin Police Department can be accomplished in three ways:
- Contact Sergeant Scott Halverson at 757-562-8577
- Contact Us Online (Select "Employment" as the Subject)
- Download an Application Packet (Last Updated 5/2017)
The requirements to become an officer are as follows:
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Pass a written & physical agility test
- Possess a valid Virginia Driver’s license with no negative points
- Have no DUI convictions
- Vision of 20/20 or corrected to 20/20
- Weight in proportion to height.
- No convictions of felonies and /or misdemeanors.
- Pass an extensive background investigation.
- Pass psychological, medical and drug screening.
- Pass a polygraph.
- Possess the ability to speak clearly, hear, analyze, and react quickly to high stress situations.
Generally we have application processes several times a year, it is usually on a Wednesday and Thursday. The schedule is as follows:
- Be at the station at 0730 hours to run the Law Fit Course (physical agility test). This has a time limit of 1:36 seconds
- Complete a mile and a half run in under eighteen minutes
- Take a written test administered by Human Resources (Virginia DCJS certified officers are exempt for this phase)..
You must satisfactorily complete all three phases to continue.
- Oral Board Interviews, will be conducted by a panel composed of both sworn and civilian employees of the city.
A couple of things to mention:
- Do not bring a firearm on police department property during testing.
- Also make sure your vehicle is in compliance with all state laws.
- Proper attire at all times.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for a police trainee is $43,180 and upon successful completion of the academy and FTO program the salary goes to $45,783.
Here are some of the benefits of becoming a police officer in the City of Franklin:
- Uniforms and equipment provided at no cost
- Basic and specialized training
- Education incentives for College degree
- Paid time off based on length of service
- Twelve paid holidays per year
- Overtime pay for off duty court appearances
- Take home vehicle (at descretion of the Chief of Police)
- Lateral entry for Virginia DCJS certified applicants
- Tuition Reimbursement
- May Be eligable for a Sign-on Bonus (contact Sgt. Halverson at 757-562-8684).
For current Career Opportunities with the City of Franklin Police Department click here.