Criminal Records Check
The Franklin Police Department does not conduct Criminal Records Checks. If you are in need of a criminal record check, please find the form on the Virginia State Police Website under the Criminal History/Background section of the page. Please send the form back to the Virginia State Police when it is complicated.
- The available forms are:
- Form SP-24 for Volunteering with children and the elderly.
- Forms SP-167, SP-230, SP-266 to request a Criminal and Sex offender check form.
- This particular form can be picked up from the police department as well.
- Keep in mind that there will be a fee for submitting this record check to the Virginia State Police. Look over the form for information on how much the fee will be.
Required upon any arrest of any jailable offense or when necessary for background investigations.
When can you get fingerprinted?
The Franklin Police Department does fingerprints for the public on Friday’s from 9:00am to 1:00pm.
What will you need?
- Government Issued Picture Id (e.g.: Driver’s License, ID card, Passport, Etc.)
- $5.00 (unless prints are taken for government employment.)
Making a Request for records from the Franklin Police Department
You may request records by U.S. Mail, fax, e-mail, in person, or over the phone. FOIA does not require that your request be in writing, nor do you need to specifically state that you are requesting records under FOIA.
Our FOIA policy can be found here FOIA Request Policy
Obtain a Police Report
Police Incident Reports may be obtained by any Virginia Citizen. If you would like to obtain a police report, please insure that you:
- Provide adequate government issued picture id (Driver’s License, ID card, Passport, Etc.)
- Provide incident report number or information in reference to the Incident (date incident occurred, location of incident, name of person involved, etc.)
Certain information from these reports must be redacted for protection of personal information as well as the sensitive nature of the investigations.
For more information, call 757-562-8577.
Obtain an Accident Report
Accident Reports for people interested in receiving reports in reference to vehicle accidents cannot be obtained through the Franklin Police Department. Requests must be submitted to the DMV in Richmond Virginia. You can obtain the request form by:
- Visiting the DMV Website and downloading form CRD 93 found here.
- Keep in mind that there is a fee for the report.
- Look under the "How to Request" section for information on how much your request will cost and how you can submit it.
- Make sure all requests are sent to Customer Records Work Center, Room 514 Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, Post Office Box 27412, Richmond, VA 23269, Fax: (804) 367-0390.
- You may also pick up a Request form by stopping by the police department and picking one up.